StrandVision Digital Signage
715-235-SIGN (7446) | www.StrandVision.com
This document describes the steps that are involved to restore a CloneZilla image for the StrandVision R350 linux player.
Download and Prepare Software
- Using a Windows, Mac or Linux pc, download CloneZilla Live. There are several options, but it is recommended to download the Debian stable release at http://clonezilla.org/downloads.php.
- Create a bootable CD from the .iso image with your burning software. Optionally, create a bootable USB drive.
- If a DVD or USB thumb drive is not included in your StrandVision R350 shipping box, you will need to download the CloneZilla image. Using a Windows, Mac or Linux pc, download svplayer_112_20130521.iso. Since it is over a gig in size, you may want to download it overnight since it will take some time to download.
- Extract the zip file onto a 2GB or larger USB thumb or hard drive. It contains several subdirectories that will be created.
Boot Up CloneZilla
- Use a USB Thumb Drive or locate an external USB CD / DVD drive and attach it to the StrandVision R350 Linux PC
- Insert the CloneZilla bootable CD or Thumb Drive
- Turn on the player
- Press the delete key several times until it says “entering setup”
- Select the “Boot” menu by pressing the right arrow twice
- Select “USB Drives” with the down arrow and press enter
- Find the USB DVD drive or USB thumb drive and position on it
- If it is not the top item in the list, press the minus key on the keypad to move it to the top
- Press escape to go back
- Select “Boot Device Priority”
- Find USB Flash or USB DVD and position on it
- If it is not the top item in the list, press the minus key on the keypad to move it there
- Press F10 to exit. Save the settings if it asks
- The system will reboot using the flash drive or dvd drive that you selected
Restore the Image
- A CloneZilla screen will appear. Press enter to continue.
- Confirm that you want to overwrite your hard disk twice.
- The image will be restored in about 10 minutes
- When complete, remove the USB thumb drive or dvd and reboot the computer
Set Your Screen Size
- Open terminal or press Ctrl-F1
- type su
- Log in as the root user with password "strandvision" (all lower case)
- run sax2
- configure the screen resolution as desired
Configure Your Network
- Once the system comes up, you will see the desktop.
- Click on the "Configure PC" link (this is actually a link to YAST)
- Enter the root password "strandvision" (all lower case)
- Select "Network Devices", "Network Settings"
- Press Tab to highlight your active network card. Configure the network with Alt-I. In most cases, DHCP is appropriate.
- Press Alt-G to select the general preferences tab. Press Alt-D and select "On Cable Connection" to activate the device. Press Alt-Z and set it to the external zone.
- Quit out of yast and verify that you can browse to an outside web site now
- To set a static ip address, follow these instructions.
- Open up FireFox and type "localhost" on the web url
- You will see a place to enter your pc's part and serial number. Enter that in the format specified
- Enter your username and password. If you have multiple screens on your account:
- go to StrandVision.com
- log into your signage account
- Click on Signage Pages / View Signage
- Select the appropriate screen from the drop down list at the top of the screen
- use the username and password that appears in the "Play your Signage on a TV Display" section
- When the username and password has been verified by the StrandVision servers, it will show a status of the installation progress
- Once the system is fully downloaded, the signage will appear in full screen mode
- If you ever need to keep this from being full screen mode, click on the screen to give it focus, then press the "W" key (window)
Optionally Burn-In the PC
If you want to run the burn-in test on the pc
- type "cd /home"
- type "./test.sh"
- type "top" to see a live processor status screen
- Let it run for several hours
- To stop the test (it iwll run endlessly on its own), press the power button momentarily to start powering off the pc.